...Fritoe, or fritters, are the most famous dolci or sweets of Venice during the Carnival Season.
Frittelle begin showing up in pastry shops, Cafes and bakeries, mid Januaryand during the weeks leading up to il Carnevale di Venezia. When Carnival is over, frittelle disappear from the store windows almost as quickly as tourists in masks.
Frittelle come in a variety of styles, both filled and unfilled, the available choices usually include:
Frittelle veneziane. No filling, but with raisins and pine nuts mixed into the fairly heavy dough. After frying, the frittelle are rolled in granulated sugar.
Frittelle con crema chantilly. Filled with a light vanilla-flavored pastry cream and rolled in granulated sugar.
Frittelle con cioccolata. Filled with a mild chocolate-flavored pastry cream and rolled in granulated sugar.
Frittelle con zabaione. Filled with a Marsala-flavored pastry cream and rolled in granulated sugar.
The most famous and renowned places were to get the Frittelle and my vote
- Pasticceria Tonolo: Contrada San pantalon in Dorsoduro 10/10
- Pasticceria Didovitch: Campo Santa Marina 8/10
- Pasticceria Bonifacio Calle degli Albanesi San Marco 9/10
- Panifico Fornareto Calle del Forner Cannaregio 8/10
- Coffe Pasticceria Pitteri Strada Nuova Cannaregio 9/10 but poor Cappuccino!
- Dal Mas Cannaregio Rio Terà Lista de Spagna, 150 8/10
- Rosa Salva (6/10)
The worst Frittelle (IMHO Majer (San Giacomo dell'Orio) : just one word Terrible!!!
This year prices are around 1.10 and 1.30 Euro each but I have seen also a few outrageous 1.80