Bad Radkersburg and South East Styria



Located at less than one hour drive from our location in Orseg …..is Bad Radkersburg

When something has preserved its charm and its youthful appearance over 700 years, there must be something special.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 11.55.49.jpg


There is no written record of Radkersburg’s founding. It is first mentioned in the records as “Rakerspurch” in 1182. Before the town even received the name Radkersburg, it was among the leading trade routes in Styria. It was considered a "market" in the year 1265. Trades have a long tradition here. Blacksmiths, in particular, have been held in high regard for centuries. Radkersburg was home to coopers as well. The cooper’s guild was found in the Bindergasse.

The old structures are being carefully maintained to this day. In 1978 the town was awarded the European gold medal for the protection and preservation of historical monuments.

Due to its proximity to the countries of Slovenia, Hungary and Croatia, the Bad Radkersburg region is in the centre of a quadripoint: an ideal base for a day trip to the wine-growing regions of the neighbouring countries or the Slovenian capital of Marburg.


On the Hauptplatz in Bad Radkersburg, you will find the town’s emblem, the Rathausturm. The upper section was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1806. You will also find the Mariensäule as a reminder of the plague on the Hauptplatz. The appeal of the enchanting town Bad Radkersburg at the border, in the most southern part of the thermal country Styria, lies in the unique mixture of splendid historical buildings, facades and monuments out of a historical past, and a young and refreshing town-life with nice cafeterias and shops. Do not miss a visit in the museum in the old arsenal, which is folkloristic and historical on one hand and a current “visiting card “ of the town and its surrounding on the other hand.

The thermal bath Bad Radkersburg, which is close by, is known to be the thermal facility of the thermal country Styria that is friendly and open to families. It is a real wellness oasis in the middle of health, cure and holiday hotels.

All in all, Bad Radkersburg definitely belongs to the highlights when visiting Styria.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 11.55.34.jpg

Soviet Victory Memorial Bad Radkersburg

This memorial commemorates the victory of the Red Army in 1945 against the nazi fascist

 cof

Located near the border with the Kingdom of Hungary, it was affected by the armed conflict between King Matthias Corvinus and Emperor Frederick III in the late 15th century. During the Ottoman–Habsburg wars, extended fortifications were laid out according to plans designed by the Italian architect Domenico dell'Allio. Radkersburg was elevated to an Imperial fortress by resolution of the 1582 Diet of Augsburg.

In the course of the 19th century language conflict, nationalist struggles in the ethnically mixed area arose between the predominantly German-speaking citizens and the Slovene-speaking peasant population down the Mur River. A garrison town of the Austro-Hungarian Army in World War I, it was occupied by troops of the newly emerged Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (Yugoslavia) on 1 December 1918. An armed revolt against the occupation forces, led by Johann Mickl, in order to affiliate the town with German-Austria failed. Nevertheless, by resolution of the 1919 Treaty of Saint-Germain, the area north of the Mur passed to the First Austrian Republic, while Oberradkersburg (Gornja Radgona) and the neighbouring municipality of Apače (Abstall), on the south bank, became part of Yugoslavia.

The nationalist conflicts lingered on, on both sides of the border. In World War II many members of the German minority greeted the Wehrmacht invasion of Yugoslavia in 1941 and joined the German combat units, while large parts of Radkersburg were devastated by armed conflicts. After the war, most of the remaining German-speaking population south of the Mur was forcibly expelled.

The Radkersburg bridge across the Mur was reopened on October 12, 1969 which led to a first rapprochement between Austria and Yugoslavia. In 1975 the town achieved spa status, another thermal spring was made accessible in 1978, soon followed by an extension to the bathing site. Since Slovenia joined the Schengen Area in 2007, border controls between Radkersburg and Gornja Radgona have been abolished.